Open RAR File on Windows 10
The Windows operating system doesn’t include a built-in feature for opening RAR files. In the event you try to open a RAR file without the appropriate software installed, you’ll probably get a message like this: “Windows cannot open this file” or “What type of file are you trying to open?
Windows users can either purchase premium applications, such as WinRAR or WinZip, or use free tools.
You can go fine with the popular, free 7-zip rather than wasting time searching for another options.
Steps to Open RAR File in Windows with 7-Zip
To open your RAR file with 7-Zip, follow these simple steps.
- Go to the 7-Zip download page. Click on the download link based on your Windows version (typically 64-bit option).
- When the installation wizard appears, choose your desired destination folder and click on the bottom-right corner’s Install button.
- When the installation is done, click on Finish and launch the application.
- In the 7-Zip interface, locate the RAR file that you want to open or go to the folder directly and double-click the RAR file. You can then save the extracted files to the selected location.
- You can alternatively right-click on the file and select the 7-Zip option from the context menu. You can extract the file quickly either with the Extract Here or Extract To “Subfolder” option. If you want to see what’s inside the compressed file, choose Open archive.
These steps are straightforward to perform, and once you are comfortable with these steps, it won’t take much time to extract the RAR files.
How to open multipart RAR files
You can extract multipart RAR files with 7-Zip by selecting all the files (file.part1.rar, file.part2.rar, etc.) and then right-click one of them > 7-Zip > Extract files.
Alternative Programs to open RAR Files on Windows 10
7-Zip is undoubtedly an excellent free tool for uncompressing RAR files, but it has alternatives.
If you are looking for a streamlined process, you can install one of the many file compression apps from the Microsoft Store in Windows 10.
RAR Opener for Windows 10
One option to try in Windows 10 is RAR Opener. You can get it from Microsoft Store.
It comes with a very user-friendly interface, and it handles all the popular archive formats like RAR, ZIP, TAR, 7-ZIP, and many more.
You also convert RAR archive to ZIP archive with RAR Opener.